Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hot Summer

When the temperature gets in the 100's I like to take a drive with the top down and feel the oven heat at 55 mph. There are fires a lot here, but not like this year. This year is extreme and unique. When it hit 105 I lowered the top in my Pontiac and set out through the foothills. The sky was brown and I could look directly at the sun without squinting. I cranked up the radio and felt the superheated air flow over my face, over my arms. Around me the grass was yellow and the oak trees looked dry. Small daisy-like sunflowers lined the road and birds flew up. The music started to get into my cells, my soul. The air lifted me up and the music lifted me up and something amazing happened. In my mind I was totally present in the here and now, the moment. I felt my body get light. How do I explain this exept to say it was an infusion of joy and energy and spirit. My body broke in a million pieces and started to disintegrate and mix in with the atmosphere around me, all of it; the air, the grass, the car, even the music. I was a million bubbles floating around the car flying through the air vibrating with the song. Joy and Love flashed through my being. Then I laughed and just like that was back in my car, driving. I couldnt' get the grin off my face though.

No comments: